Agriculture and Food Environmental Audit Services
Environmental audits from SGS ensure that factories and suppliers conform to national and international regulations.
To ensure that your factories and suppliers conform to national and international regulations or meet industry good practice in terms of environmental management, SGS performs environmental audits around the world. You can choose from two types of audit:
- Environmental audit – a sharp analysis and corrective action plan
- A supplier improvement program – auditing, training, and coaching your supplier to ensure conformity with Foundational practices and support continuous improvement to achieve progressive and aspirational practices
Our audit program focuses on these elements:
- Environmental management system
- Energy use, transport and greenhouse gases
- Emissions to air
- Water use, including wastewater/effluents
- Waste management
- Pollution prevention/hazardous and potentially hazardous substances
- Major incident prevention and management
- Contaminated land/soil and groundwater pollution prevention
- Land use and biodiversity
The SGS Environmental Conformity Assessment checklist is based on the GSCP EMS program, it can be applied to any product category. Industry initiatives are developing tools to assess the performance of the supply chain and drive continuous improvement:
- Higg index of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition
- Zero Discharge of Hazardous (ZDHC) Program
SGS is also an active member of the Sustainable Apparel Coalition and the ZDHC industry groups. SGS experts contribute to the development of the Higg index Facilities Environmental Module and are actively involved in the Higg index verification program.
Depending on the objectives of your company, SGS can help with the development and management of a comprehensive program to support the implementation of continuous improvement practices. The initial assessment can be combined with training, monitoring, coaching and certification solutions tailored to the need of each facility. This holistic solution typically includes:
- Higg index training, to explain the results of the Higg assessment and help prepare a performance improvement plan
- Hazardous Substance Control workshop to help facilities implement good chemical management practices
- Wastewater effluent testing according to the ZDHC wastewater guideline to monitor wastewater quality, and identify the root cause of potential issues
- Energy assessment by an energy management expert to build a medium and long term plan to increase energy efficiency and reduce green house gas emissions
- Leverage the Bluesign bluefinder to support the procurement of safe chemicals
- Other solutions can be developed according to your goals
Please request a consultation with one of our experts in order to obtain more information and obtained a proposal tailored to your needs.
Catch Up On Our Food Webinars
Stay up to date with on-demand webinars from our experts.